The original parish church was dedicated to St Mary and stood at the junction of what is now Bankside and Air Street. In 1870, a new parish church (All Saints) was built in Margaret Street and St Mary's was closed. Two years later St Mary's reopened but All Saints remained the parish church.
The old parish registers were transferred from St Mary's to All Saints in 1870 and new registers for St Mary's were started in 1872. This means that, depending on date, the parish registers can relate to either St Mary's or All Saints. When the Sculcoates' parish registers were deposited in the East Riding of Yorkshire Archives in Beverley, they came from All Saints and were so described, even though the older ones refer to the earlier period before All Saints was built.
Sculcoates' early parish registers (up to 1772) have been printed by the YPRS. The East Yorkshire Family History Society is in the process of transcribing the later registers (up to 1837) and are publishing them as a series of booklets.