Churches in Sculcoates
St Mary (upto 1870, 1872-1916 and 1917-present) A church is first mentioned in Sculcoates in 1232. The medieval church was dedicated to St Mary and stood on the corner of what is now Bankside and Air Street. It was rebuilt in c1759 on the same site but closed in 1870. It re-opened in 1872 and continued to be used until December 1916 when it was again closed. It was replaced by a new church, also dedicated to St Mary, which was built in 1917 on a different site, further up Sculcoates Lane. The old church was then taken down but some of the fixtures and fittings were incorporated into the new church - see notes below on Parish Churches.
The Charterhouse For a short period, before the building of Christ Church, the chapel of the Charterhouse Hospital was used for some services. A separate baptismal register is mentioned in some records but this has apparently been lost.
Christ Church, Worship Street (1822). Badly damaged by bombing in 1941 and demolished in 1962.
All Saints, Margaret Street (1869). When completed, it took over from St Mary as Sculcoates parish church and remained so until 1972. It was closed and demolished in 1974 - see notes on Parish Churches.
St Paul, St Pauls Street (1846) This church was considerably altered after Second Worlds War, eventually demolished and replaced by a new church on the same site.
St Silas, Barmston Street (1871). It was closed in 1967 and demolished the following year, following a fire.
St Phillip, corner of Charlotte Street/Paradise Row (1885). It was damaged in the Second World War and subsequently demolished.
St Stephen the Martyr, Spring Bank (1972). Originally this building was a Methodist chapel which took over from All Saints as Sculcoates parish church in 1972.