Early burials took place around the original church on the corner of Air Street and Bankside. It was closed for burials in 1855. From 1819, burials also took place in land on the south side of Sculcoates Lane. This burial ground was often referred to as the 'Sacristy' because of the small chapel (now demolished) which stood there. Later, another cemetery was opened on the north side of Sculcoates Lane. Part of this burial ground was set aside for use by Sculcoates Workhouse and there are several stones for workhouse burials dating from the 1920s. All are now closed for burials.
These three burial grounds were neglected and allowed to deteriorate until eventually they became the subject of a 'tidying up' operation which resulted in the wholesale destruction of many of the stones, especially in the Sacristy (which has a path made up of broken gravestones) and the original churchyard. Fortunately some members of the East Yorkshire Family History Society were able to organise an emergency operation and record many of the inscriptions from the churchyard and some from the Sacristy as well as almost all of those in the cemetery on the north side of Sculcoates Lane. These have since been published in booklet form.
In addition to the three burial grounds, many of the monuments from inside the old church were transferred to the new church in 1916. These have also been recorded and are included in the Air Street booklet.