Introduction

The modern city of Hull comprises several parishes and townships in addition to the 'Old Town' of Hull. Most of them, although commemorated in street names, are unknown to those living outside the city.  Sculcoates is one of these; one which most Hull citizens, if pressed, would describe as being in the vicinity of Sculcoates Lane or near Sculcoates Power Station, but it was a much larger area. It is in fact well within the modern city of Hull and you may find it hard to believe that until about 220 years ago it was a large rural area outside the town. There is now little sign of the village of Sculcoates, in fact nothing to distinguish the parish from the rest of Hull. The main reason for this is its position on the River Hull, immediately to the north of the town of Hull (the 'Old Town').

From the second half of the 18th Century, industry began to spread up the river bank in the east of the parish and at about the same time, the southern part of the parish became an overspill area for the town.  In spite of this, it was not until 1835 that Sculcoates officially became a part of Hull. From the 1830s, the name Sculcoates was also used to describe a much larger area than the parish:

  • In 1837, under the new Poor Law, the Sculcoates Poor Law Union was created as individual parishes could no longer cope with the large numbers of poor.  This Union was a collection of parishes which included the northern and eastern suburbs of Hull and a wide agricultural area from Hedon in the east to Welton in the west.
  • In 1837 also, Civil Registration was introduced and Sculcoates Registration District was formed, covering similar area.

This means that you may come across 19th century records eg Poor Law & birth certificates etc describing Kirk Ella or Drypool for example as in Sculcoates.  The area referred to on this page, however, is that of the ancient parish and manor of Sculcoates.   Ancient because it is the oldest parish in the modern city of Hull.  It was a parish when  Sutton, Drypool, Holy Trinity and St Mary's (Hull) all looked to more distant mother churches.