The first map of the whole of Sculcoates is dated 1692, but only a 19th century copy survives. It shows houses and a windmill along Church Street (now a part of Wincolmlee) south of the church. Also shown are some pre-enclosure field names - North Field, West Field, Green Field and also Great Pasture and Great Ings. The names West and Great Apeland seem to indicate orchards.
The two most important buildings in Sculcoates at that time were the church of St Mary and the Charterhouse. More than once, the Vicar of Sculcoates lived at the Charterhouse as he was also the Master. Flooding was still a problem, especially in winter and the road between the Church and the Charterhouse (now Wincolmlee) was frequently inundated. The church was regularly abandoned during the winter months and services were then held in the Charterhouse chapel where a separate register was kept. The Churchwardens accounts show payments were made for transporting seats from the church to the Charterhouse in the autumn and for returning them to the church in the following spring.
The medieval church of St Mary Sculcoates was a small simple building, on the corner of Air Street and Bankside. By 1743 it was in need of repair and in 1759, a decision was taken to rebuild it completely, on the same site. In the south of the parish, a few more buildings were appearing outside the walls and this may have encouraged the parishioners to think that a larger church would be needed to cope with the expected increase in population. The appearance of the new church was considerably altered in the 1820s and again in the 1860s.
Twenty years after the church was rebuilt, the Charterhouse was also rebuilt. An inscription on the porch of the building on the north side of Charterhouse Lane (the 'Old House' ) commemorates the founder, Michael de la Pole and John Bourne who was the Master when the Charterhouse was rebuilt. The floor of the porch shows the De La Pole coat of arms. Inside is the chapel which contains memorials to past Masters, and one Matron, of the Charterhouse. Incidentally, the father of Andrew Marvell was once the Master here. On the other side of Charterhouse Lane is the 'Master's House'. The De La Pole coat of arms is on a blue and white plaque above the door. This building was badly damaged by bombing during the Second World War but has been restored. The garden contains an old, gnarled mulberry tree, sometimes referred to as the 'oldest living thing in Hull'.